Friday, August 3, 2007

1. E-MAIL ME!
Hello! I would like to bring you the best exercises. Please contact me if you encounter problems in learning English. My E-Mail is: roenknee@yahoo.com


2. IDIOMS
Get in Someone’s Hair
CLARA: Children! Would you please stop making so much noise! And for heaven’s sake, pick up your clothes and toys! It’s hard enough trying to keep this house clean without your throwing your things all over the place!
JIM: Clara, I know that the children get in your hair, but you should try not to let it upset you so much.
CLARA: Listen, Jim. I can’t help it. The children bother me and make me very angry when they’re so noisy and messy.

Get in Someone’s Hair = (bother someone)


3. QUIZ
Choose the best answers to complete the sentences below!

a) If Anthony calls, (say/tell) him I’m at Rowan’s. He can reach me there.
b) If you go to France, you (may/have to) have a visa.
c) When John arrived home, Jenny (cooks/had cooked) dinner.
d) What was he doing at 7 o’clock yesterday morning? (He was having a shower/He had a shower.)
e) His father had two daughters from his first marriage. (Really! I didn’t know he’d been married before. /Really! I thought you’d met them before.)


4. TWO-WORD VERBS
a) She comes across well in interviews. (come across = make a particular impressions)
b) When the right job comes along, she’ll take it. (come along = arrive; appear)
c) Good jobs are hard to come by these days. (come by = obtain; receive)


5. TRIVIA
Answer the questions briefly!

a) What doesn’t a vegetarian eat?
b) Where were glasses invented?
c) Which language is spoken by the most people in the world?
d) How long does it take for the sun’s rays to reach the Earth?
e) When did the Modern Olympic start?







6. QUIZ ANSWERS
a) tell
b) have to
c) had cooked
d) he was having a shower
e) Really! I didn’t know he’d been married before.






7. TRIVIA ANSWERS
a) meat
b) Italy
c) Chinese
d) 8 minutes
e) 1896